Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Health Care Disaster

Working in a health care system, you would think that I would be used to the run arounds, insensitivity, and trial and error.  In a world with technology at our disposal, one would think health care would be more streamlined.  I will NOT go into my health issues on this blog.  However I would like to share my experience.

I am never sick.   Never.  If I am, it's tonsillitis, strep throat, something of that nature.  I drastically need to have my tonsils removed.  I had golfball sized looking tonsils covered in white in early July.  Other than that, I'm healthy as a horse.  I've had some persisting health issues that have lingered and worsened since my treatment.  The doctor agrees something is obviously and very seriously wrong after todays appointment.

Issues:  I started a new job on August 22nd.  When does my insurance start? October 1st.  The last day at my old job was August 16th.  Full monthly paid premium.  However insurance terms on last day of employment.  How does that work?  So you mean I paid for a full month of premium for insurance, but if I want coverage, I have to buy a cobra policy that is . . . . hold on to your seats $427.00 for 30 days.  Uhhhhh thanks, but no thanks.  I decided in mid August not to go to the doctor under my old insurance due to them saying I would likely have to have many tests ran that would not able to be scheduled prior to my last insurance date.  So I waited until things got worse and decided I better get to the doctor.

In a world where people who do not work have free health care, or go to appointments and just do not pay bills (an issue that I for the most part don't pay much attention too, knowing full well that I should), I am now responsible for these medical bills non-billable to any insurance.  This is beyond frustrating but at the expense of my health, it's important to take care of these issues.  Mostly so I can feel well again prior to going to Texas.

Issue 2: Insensitivity.  Confidentiality.  After initially meeting with the nurse (who I might add was orienting another new nurse that made this appointment last twice as long when they already knew I was new at my job, and did not ask permission for two nurses to be in the room) and meeting with the doctor, I then met with another nurse to discuss some tests.  She left the door open.  Open.  With direct sight and ear shot to the waiting room.  Another issue arose of things she asked me to take to the hospital.  I had approximately 5 things I needed to take.  I asked her for a bag.  She said "Uhhhhh I don't think we have anything."  She then proceeded to hand me a plastic STAPLES bag that someone had brought their lunch in with to carry these things through the waiting room.  Sigh.

Without getting into much detail, these issues have drastically taken a toll on my energy level, self esteem, and every single aspect of my life.  I am hoping to have this behind me as I started a medication regiment today.   With of course strict directions to NOT drink alcoholic beverages.   Doc used the words "antibuse like reaction . . . you'll be sicker than a dog."   Oh well.  Not the worst thing to give up.  Will be a great start to healthy, clean living life that I'm slowly attempting to get underway.   Anyways, this whole experience today upset me to the point of tears.  How did we get so insensitive in our culture that at a doctors office we can't provide compassion and sensitivity to those who are ailing.  I believe in the direct reflection of events in our life in order to be able to learn and make ourselves better.  I'll be reminded when dealing with ANY issue with any resident at my current job.  One thing I really love about my current place of employment is the amount of OVER-sensitivy they place on confidentiality, compassion, and kind gestures.  I couldn't be more happy to work for a culture that embraces this.

No comments:

Post a Comment