Monday, April 4, 2011

I think Chandler had it right.

Chandler: You don't have to stop having fun just because I'm here. Kathy didn't cheat on all of you. (To Joey) Well, except you. (They hug and Chandler goes into the bathroom with the chick and the duck following him.) Monica: Hey, Joey, I don't think you should leave Chandler alone. I mean it's only been two days since he broke up with Kathy. Maybe you can go fishing next week? Joey: Look, there's nothing I can do for him right now, he's still in his sweat pants, that's still Phase One. Y'know? I'll be back for Phase Two, I would never miss Phase Two. Monica: What's Phase Two? Joey: Gettin' drunk and going to a strip club. Rachel: How does going to a strip club help him get better? Ross: Because there are naked ladies there. Joey: Which helps him get to Phase Three, picturing yourself with other women. This weekend. . . . today . . . probably tomorrow . . . I feel like I'm in this episode. I'm definitely Chandler. I spent all weekend in my sweats. Nothing but wallowing in self pity. I remember the last time my long term relationship ended. I spent three months. THREE MONTHS . . . laying in my bed, at home, crying. I unfortunately have grown up since then, and 5 years later I have responsibilities. I can't lay in my bed all day. I can't sit around and cry for the rest of my life. Do I want everything to go back to normal, back to the way it was but with all the puzzle pieces in the right place. . . of course I do. But I don't think that's going to be happening. So I'm left with a decision. I can sit around in Phase One for another week . . . or I can move on to Phase Two. So who's getting drunk and going to the strip club with me? I was also pondering this as I drove back this morning. What is it about getting drunk after a break up that instantly makes everything better. Is it the numbness of alcohol. Is it the fact that it preoccupies your mind that you don't have to pay attention to what you're really thinking about. Or is it the social aspect of reaching out to old/new friends. Whatever it is. . . . this has always been my method of coping during these times. Albeit not healthy, or even remotely productive. I have an album called "The Rebound." A compilation of pictures after my last break up (a short lived, though emotionally draining relationship). Is that what is going to happen this time? Where I lose 50 lbs because I drink and smoke myself into an emotionally numbing coma. Who knows. Right now, I know my only option is to pretend like this situation doesn't exist. To pretend like I'm not living in this nightmare right now. To take a mental break from the exhaustion of heartfelt miserable-ness. And when I come up for air . . . I'll figure out what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment